Day of Anger
The Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly) are most cinephilles entry to the world of Italian-European westerns of the 60’s and 70’s. The struggle with being exposed to those films first is that they are among the best of the genre and in film in general. For those who wish to continue to explore the genre The Day of Anger is a perfect continuing point. With its cast and crew of Sergio Leone alumni there is a similar vide, Directed by Tonino Valerii (assistant director for A Fistful of Dollars) and starring Lee Van Cleef (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly).
Day of Anger has a relatively simple story narrative of a basted son, Scott Marry, who can be summed upped as the janitor of the town of Clifton. Scott marry has the dream of becoming a gunslinger cowboy and earn the respect of the townspeople of Clifton. Scott Marry would soon make that dream a reality as Frank Talby (Lee Van Cleef) arrives into town and disturbs the balance of power set within Clifton. Scott Marry soon becomes a student of Frank Talby but at what cost will this apprenticeship be.
Arrow Video has brought a must need spaghetti western to the United Sates in glorious high-definition video. This release contains the most definitive version of Day of Anger which includes an Italian Uncut release (1 Hour and 54 Minutes) dub in both Italian and English along with an English dub version of the International release (1 Hour and 26 minutes). Presented in this release is a new transfer that comes from the original camera negative and it shows. The wide shots of the desert back ground pop with detail with subtle green bushes and dust. With many westerns come the extreme close-ups and the detail that is seen is incredible with the skin tones spot-on with what is expected form a spaghetti western. Both the uncut and international cuts of the film contain the same detail and color as they were sourced from the same fantastic transfer.
I watched the Italian Uncut release of Day of Anger with the English dub but with a few spot checks for the Italian dub. What is present on the original Mono only PCM dub track of both the English and Italian tracks and they sound wonderful. All voices and sounds effect were heard clearly but there were a few occasions of extreme action where sound effects were muffled but that is a limitation of mono since all sound is coming from one source.
- Brand new restoration from the original 35mm Techniscope camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of both versions of the film: the original Italian theatrical release, and the shortened version that was screened internationally
- Original uncompressed mono audio, with English or Italian soundtracks on the longer cut and an English soundtrack on the shorter one
- Newly translated English subtitles for Italian audio and optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for English audio
- Brand new interview with screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
- Brand new interview with Tonino Valerii’s biographer Roberto Curti
- Previously unreleased 2008 interview with Tonino Valerii
- Deleted scene
- Theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Howard Hughes (author of Spaghetti Westerns), illustrated with original poster designs